Monday, June 1, 2015

Summer Plans

Don't you just love me?


I post a whole, long, happy, sunny post about how I've been off, but I'm getting better and finding great books and probably I'll be writing again soon!


And then two more months go by.


Whoops.


So, yeah. Still kinda lacking in the motivation department, and now it's not just my writing. I'm also reading slowly and sporadically. And now I don't even know what my problem is, because I've been reading great books, and I've got more great books to read, and I've been watching great movies, and I've actually spent a fair bit of the last few weeks in a pretty great mood. I should be bursting with things to say.


So I've decided that I'm going to be.


It's June. Summer vacation. I graduated from high school (or at least, I had a graduation party) (there's another thing I could've written about earlier and didn't). I have zero plans for this fall. I am free and frightened and crazy and excited and the world might just possibly be at my fingertips. So I think it's about time I stopped waiting around for motivation. I'm writing this summer, and I'm reading this summer, whether my lame uncooperative unmotivated brain likes it or not.


Right now, I have two major summer goals: first, I want to write, or at least get started on, a new book. The idea I'll be writing from is one I've had and loved for years. It's fun and fluffy and rompy, and I've learned from experience that I do my best work on those kinds of stories. It'll probably end up being harder to write that I'm anticipating (because it always is), but I have decided I'm going to do it.


Second, I'll once again be reading some popular book series or other and posting my daily impressions on this blog. Currently the plan is to do this over the first few weeks of July. The big hang-up here is that I don't actually know for sure what books I'm doing yet. For a while, I'd resolved to read the complete works of John Green, but now I'm not so sure, since I've heard they're a bit depressing and formulaic and overrated. But they're still on the table. I've also been considering maybe changing my approach up a bit, and reading classics instead of contemporary phenomena; if I did this, I would either read some iconic Science Fiction (because I realize that I have read very little science fiction in my life) or select some books that I think of as staples of public school curriculum that I never ended up reading (e.g. The Catcher in the Rye, Hemingway, Steinbeck, etc.). If anyone has any other suggestions, I am naturally open to them. And if anyone would like to weigh in with what they think I should do, that would be great too.


Two goals. Two goals, and a few hopes that I'll keep to myself for now, and one hope that I'm perfectly willing to share.


I hope that this is an absolutely amazing summer.


That's all for now... but you should be hearing from me again soon.


~Pearl Clayton

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Look who's finally on here commenting! Me! Yay!

    Sorry it took me so long to do this (I actually ending up missing the last post and never commented on it. Fail. Best friend ever. *sarcasm again btw*)...

    Anyway, loving the new attitude. Just get her done, girl. Can't wait to hear what the new book is about (or to read it... which ever comes first. :D).

    As for book suggestions, I got nothing. Just don't read The Maze Runner series. They're terrible. (Not that you were considering it...)

    I know. I'm as helpful as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You're back!

      Don't worry about missing the last post. I'm so terrible at replying to comments, anyway, that as long as you're reading them I don't *need* you to comment.

      Somebody (it may have been my mother) actually suggested that I do The Maze Runner a few weeks ago. And I said "No way". I've done dystopian trilogies the last two years. And, you know.... you said The Maze Runner was unreadably terrible.

      Delete