Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dear Timothy Dalton,

I am most seriously displeased with you.

Oh, what, you want me to explain why? Well, aren't you persnickety.

Well then fine. I'll explain why I'm displeased. But first, a little backstory.

Some years ago, I don't know how many exactly, I watched the 1997 TV movie Jane Eyre starring Samantha Morton and Ciaran Hinds. I didn't like it. At all. Later, I watched the newest version of the story, starring Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender. I didn't like that one either (to be perfectly honest, I barely remember anything about that one). Then I read the book. Then I watched the 1997 version again, and I disliked the story more than ever, for one simple reason: in every single one of these versions, book included, I hated Mr. Rochester, felt that he didn't truly love Jane, and therefore found it very easy to deem his offenses against her unforgiveable, which in turn made the end of the story really annoying. I'll freely admit that at one point during the reading of the book I thought up a lengthy list of similarities between Jane Eyre and Bella Swan, including:

*Both are small and not particularly strong, with brown hair and eyes
*Both are fairly intelligent characters who are likeable at the story's beginning
*Both fall in love with a very strong, passive-aggressive, moody freak named Edward who loves selfishly and is harboring a terrible secret that should logically bring a permanent end to their little romance
*Both lose all trace of a personality, become fixated on Edward, and end up marrying him despite all the reasons why they shouldn't

And see, here's the thing, Mr. Dalton. I was happy to dislike Jane Eyre. I enjoyed comparing the story to Twilight and scoffing in disgust when Internet comments said Mr. Rochester was one of the most romantic heroes in history. When I started watching your precious, poor quality 1983 miniseries, I wasn't doing so because I thought I was going to enjoy it; I was watching because I thought it might be rather unintentionally funny, as so many thirty-year-old telecasts are.

And dash you, Dalton, you made me like Rochester. My biggest complaint about the story is that he knowingly tries to make the woman he claims to love go against the law and her own morals, and your ridiculously appealing performance almost made me forget that. Ugh.

Of course, Zelah Clarke helped. You can't take all the credit. It was disconcerting seeing Jane Eyre smiling and laughing and being coy and teasing, but I liked it. It's nice to have your main character appear human for a change.

I guess I should mention your exceedingly upsetting appearance. Was it really necessary for you to be all tall and green-eyed and glorious-haired and adorable? Rochester's supposed to look like a stumpy mutant. It would have made you so much easier to hate.....

Well, that's all, loser. Don't think for a second I'm going to be watching your version of Wuthering Heights. I don't need a love for Heathcliff in my life.

Or do I? Blasted temptation.....

Sincerely,
Pearl Clayton


I mean, seriously, look at him, he's so dang pleased with himself.....


       

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I actually totally floored that you could ever like a version of Mr. Rochester. I mean...I seriously shocked. He must play the character REALLY well. Actually you've got me completely curious now too. Doggone it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry..... Trust me, I'm floored too. He's stunningly appealing.
    You know, I think they have clips on YouTube of, like, their first conversation and the proposal scene and stuff, so you could see him without getting any of the creepiness and unpleasantness that traditionally has made the story so detestable to us. If you were really curious.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark Twain has pretty much thoroughly discouraged me from thinking too much about anything Jane Austen, so I've not seen or read any version of Jane Eyre or any of her other works (although I really should). However, I agree that Timothy Dalton is excellent. Speaking of whom, have you seen him in the television series known as Chuck in which he plays Volkoff, the awesome-if-totally-deranged villain? (The inability to italicize that which grammar dictates must be italicized is killing me. Pretend that "Chuck" and "Jane Eyre" are all slanty and grammatically correct, would you?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, interestingly, Jane Eyre was actually written by Charlotte Bronte, who hated Jane Austen just as much as Mark Twain did. And while I am all for the reading of classics and think that you should read Austen despite your prejudice (and also think that you might end up really liking Austen despite your prejudice), if you disliked J. R. R. Tolkein's writing, you'd probably hate the writing in Jane Eyre.
      I have not Chuck. You just became the third or fourth person to tell me I should. I fully intend to at some point, especially now that I know Timothy plays a villain.
      Why, but Jane Eyre and Chuck are all slanty and grammatically correct! (See, this is me pretending for you.)

      Delete
    2. Note: The sentence that reads "I have not Chuck" was supposed to say "I have not seen Chuck". I should really start proofreading things before I publish them.....

      Delete